The Category Specific RSS feed subscription WordPress Plugin allows you to add a menu with multiple RSS feed subscription option to your site in addition to the normal RSS subscription option. The category specific RSS feed menu can be added to a post, page or sidebar. Through this menu your visitors will be able to subscribe to the RSS feed of a specific topic/category of your blog that particularly interest them.
Why use category specific RSS subscription?
The reason is very simple… you don’t want to be served with Meat when you are a Vegetarian! If your site covers multiple topics then your subscribed readers may get annoyed when you update your site with content that they are not interested in and they get a notification in their RSS reader. With category specific RSS subscription option, your readers can choose which topic they want to subscribe to and will only get notified when you update/add content to your site with that specific topic. Apart from the Search Engine Optimization (SEO) advantage, this is a much more neat and clean RSS subscription option. Most of the time, your visitors will not subscribe to your RSS feed if they can not choose a topic/category specific subscription, specially when your site covers multiple topics which are not related.
Category Specific RSS Plugin Installation
- Go to the Add New plugins screen in your WordPress admin area
- Click the upload tab
- Browse for the plugin file (Category-specific-rss-wp.zip) then hit the “install” button.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- Go to Settings and configure the options. Example: your category names and RSS link of the specific topic.
- Optionally, go to the Widgets menu and add the ‘Category Specific RSS’ widget to the sidebar or add the shortcode to a post or page where u want the RSS feed widget to appear.
Category Specific RSS Plugin Usage
There are three ways you can use this plugin:
- Add the Category Specific RSS Widget to your sidebar from the Widget menu.
- Add the shortcode [category_specific_rss_menu] to your WordPress posts or pages.
- Call the function from template files: <?php echo show_cat_specific_rss_menu(); ?>
Download Latest Version
Download the Category Specific RSS plugin.
Works with the latest version of WordPress.
Requires WordPress 3.0 or higher.
Display category specific RSS for all categories
To show a list of all categories and a RSS feed for each of them simply check the ‘Show Category RSS for All Categories’ option from the settings menu.
You can also toggle the display of the current count of posts in each category from the settings menu of the plugin.
Changing the default RSS image
To change the default RSS image simply overwrite the ‘rss_small_icon.png’ image in the plugin directory with the image that you want to use
Why doesn’t the Plugin Give an RSS feed?
One thing to keep in mind is that the ‘Category Specific RSS’ plugin won’t be able to give you an RSS feed if you are using the default dynamic URL structure (eg. ?cat=7 or ?p=127 etc.)
Change your permalink structure to fancy permalink (eg. www.yourdomain.com/title-of-your-post instead of www.yourdomain.com/?p=12)
You should be using fancy permalink for Search Engine Optimization too (read the following post when you get some time )
Change your Permalink structure from the Settings->Permalinks menu (choose anything but the default one and then the feed will work fine).
Check out the list of Best WordPress Plugins to find out what other plugins you should be using.