If you need to use eMember with another WordPress plugin that uses the WordPress user’s role (example: a forum plugin) then you need to check the fields in the “WordPress User Integration Settings” section of the eMember’s settings menu.
WP eMember does not create WordPress user entry by default.
We prefer not to modify or add data to a core WordPress database table. So eMember uses it’s own database table to store membership account details. Most of our customers who create a membership site using WordPress prefer this clean approach where your core WordPress user database table doesn’t get cluttered.
However, some projects will require the creation of WordPress user so that you can use WordPress’s role and capabilities with another plugin. Checking the “Automatically Create WordPress User” checkbox will make it so whenever someone signs up via eMember it will automatically create a corresponding WordPress user in the background with the role you specify in the membership level of eMember.
The WP eMember plugin will work as a gatekeeper. After a user registers for a membership account using eMember, the plugin will create a WordPress user with the specified Role in the background. It will also keep the user’s details in sync. When a member logs into eMember, he/she will automatically get logged into the WordPress user system in the background and other plugin(s) can then do stuff based on that WordPress user’s role.
Mass Import All WP User Accounts into eMember
If you already have a lot of WP User accounts that you want to import into eMember then you can do that from the following interface of eMember:
WP eMember -> Members -> Import WP Users
Auto Create an eMember Account When a WP User is Created by Another Plugin
If you have another WordPress plugin that creates WP User account and you want to automatically create an eMember user account for them then you can do that too.
Go to the following interface of eMember and enable the feature (see the following screenshot):
WP eMember -> Admin Functions
Creating WP User Accounts for Your Existing ‘eMembers’
If you have an established site where there are a number of existing members within your WP eMember plugin, this section will demonstrate how you can create corresponding WP user accounts. This features works well for those admin that wish to now use another plugin that relies on the WP user functionality.
- Click on the WP eMember Admin Functions menu.
- Scroll down until you find the section titled ‘Create WordPress User Account for the members that do not have one‘.
- If you wish to create WP User accounts for existing eMembers, click the appropriate button.
- WP User accounts will now be created for all your eMembers (that did not already have a WP User account).
Considerations when using this Feature:
- User accounts will be created for every eMember user that does not have a corresponding WordPress account already
- The WordPress user accounts will be created with the same details from eMember but the password will be set to “changeme” (The users who are getting a new WP user record will have to change the password to their liking from the edit profile page).