In this article (and video) I am going to explain how to offer a digital item for sale and for download with just one shortcode. Essentially what we will be doing is checking if the current visitor is an approved member or not, and then automatically displaying the appropriate button to them based on that criteria.
As expected, permitted members will see a download button for the digital item, while non (or anonymous) members will see a purchase button of some kind (buy now, add to cart, subscribe).
Before we continue, let’s make certain that you have the proper plugins and add-ons in place.
This tutorial requires the following plugins:
- WordPress eStore Plugin
- WordPress eMember Membership Plugin
And the following free eStore add-ons:
How to Provide Digital Downloads to Members Only
Once all of the above software is in place, please follow along with the steps below.
- In your WordPress dashboard, go to WP eStore >> Members Only Button
- Enter in the WP eStore Product ID for the product that you want to setup. You can go to WP eStore >> Manage Products to find the ID for the product.
- Choose from one of the Fancy displays. You can start with “1” (without quotes) and modify it from the generated shortcode if you want to try a different product display later. Here are the different options.
- In the Permitted Membership Level IDs include all of the membership levels that you want to have download access to the product. Separate each ID with a dash or hyphen. You can go to WP eMember >> Membership Level to find the IDs for the membership levels.
- In the Button for Non Permitted Users box enter the value for the type of button that you want to use. 1 is for “add to cart” and 2 is for “buy now” but you can have it display a subscribe (3) or download (4) button for non-permitted members as well.
- Specify a button type for “permitted” users now. Here you would most likely use “4” to create a download button, although all other button types are still available.
- Click the Generate Shortcode button.
- Paste the generated shortcode into a post or page.
Please post below if there are any questions.
Note: We now provide technical support for our premium plugins via our customer only support forum