If you would like to offer downloadable files on your WordPress site but keep them protected from the general public by way of password protection, this article will bring you through the quick steps. We’re going to be using the Simple Download Monitor plugin for this. There is a password protection feature that is available with it to make this process very simple.
First, let’s quickly get the free plugin installed
We can install the plugin using the following steps:
- Download the Simple Download Monitor Plugin from the plugin page of the WordPress repository.
- In the WordPress Dashboard menu, select Plugins, then click Add New.
- Search for “Simple Download Monitor” and locate the Simple Download Monitor Plugin in the list of results.
- Click the Install Now link, then Activate it.
Configure the Download Monitor plugin
Click on Settings from the newly created Downloads menu in the Dashboard if you want to make changes to any of the settings.
Add a Password Protected Download
Now, to upload a file to make it available for password-protected download, follow these steps:
- Click Downloads, then Add New from the left-hand menu.
- Enter the details for the file (title, description, thumbnail).
- In the Publish Settings area on the right side of the screen, click Edit next to Visibility.
- Choose Password Protection.
- Enter the desired password.
- Optionally, enable the PHP Dispatch option of the download item (if you want to keep the file URL hidden).
- Publish the file.
From here you will create a page or post and insert the download shortcode into the spot that you would like the download to display. Use the SDM Downloads button in the Visual Editor to quickly and easily insert the shortcode.
Now share the page/post link and the password with your trusted groups.