I recently changed my web hosting again in an attempt to speed up the page load time of my website. I had to do it as the former hosting’s page response time was horrible. It was taking 9 seconds for my home page to load with the former hosting. Now my home page loads under 4 seconds! It’s amazing the difference it makes… now I don’t get angry when browsing my own site (I wonder what my visitors were thinking while waiting for the page to load!).
Anyway, The transfer was smooth but I had a slight issue that I noticed after the transfer. There were special characters similar to the following scattered throughout my blog posts:
I was pretty sure that this was a character encoding mismatch problem. I got a little scared thinking it would take a long time to fix but then I found a really easy way to solve it.
Fixing the Character Encoding Mismatch Problem in WordPress
Step 1) Open the ‘wp-config.php’ file in a text editor such as notepad (the wp-config.php file can be found on the directory where you installed WordPress).
Step 2) Find the following two lines and comment them out:
define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8'); define('DB_COLLATE', '');
They should look like the following after you comment them out:
//define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8'); //define('DB_COLLATE', '');
Step 3) Now upload the updated ‘wp-config.php’ file to your webhost (overwriting the old one).
This character encoding problem can happen after a database upgrade too so it doesn’t hurt to keep this trick in your mind just in case.