Favicons are a great way to make your site stand out from the crowd. It is also very easy to implement too. In this post I have explained how you can easily make a favicon and use it on your site.
What is Favicon?
Favicon is short for favorites icon. This is the icon that shows up on the left side of the browser’s address bar. Favicon is also known as bookmark icon, website icon, url icon or shortcut icon. Size of a favicon is 16×16 pixels.
How to Make a Favicon Easily in Photoshop
- In Photoshop open a new file (make sure the image size is 16 x 16 Pixels).
- Design your favicon. You can either start from scratch, use a picture, or a section of a picture.
Note: The image size is rather small so I advise not to use a picture with a lot of graphic content.
- Save the favicon you created as ‘favicon.ico’ (you can save the image as .png or .jpg and then rename it to .ico)
You can even use MS Paint to make favicons too… all you have to make sure is that the image size is 16×16 pixels and the filename is ‘favicon.ico’.
How to Use Favicon on Your Site?
Adding a favicon to your site is really easy:
Upload the ‘favicon.ico’ file to the root of your webpage (‘public_html’ directory), eg. http://www.yoursite.com/favicon.ico and you are done.
In this method you will use a rel=”shortcut icon” tag to add the favicon to your site.
1. Upload the ‘favicon.ico’ file to the desired location on your web host.
2. In the <head> of your html add the following line of code:
For a wordpress blog just open the ‘Header.php’ file and add the following given you uploaded the ‘favicon.ico’ file to that location.