In this tutorial, you will learn:
- How to create a WordPress.com account.
- How to install and activate JetPack.
- How to connect JetPack with your WordPress.com account.
JetPack extends the abilities of a hosted WordPress.com web site, and many of its features are reliant on the WordPress.com servers. We have the ability to use JetPack on our self-hosted WordPress web sites using the JetPack plugin, but we must connect our site to a WordPress.com account to open up its many features. Let’s go through those steps quickly right now.
Steps for Enabling JetPack Within a WordPress.org Web Site
- First, point your web browser to wordpress.com/start/account/user. This will allow you to create an account without having to also create a WordPress.com web site.
- Fill in the registration form with an email address, username and password.
- Click the Create My Account button.
- Click the Confirm Now button in your email to Activate your WordPress.com account.
- Now, back inside your self-hosted WordPress Dashboard, click on Plugins and then Add New to install JetPack.
- You should see JetPack by WordPress.com right away in the Featured section, otherwise do a search for JetPack by WordPress.com.
- Then, click on Install Now, and then Activate.
- Now, click the Connect to WordPress.com button. You should already be logged into your WordPress.com account from the previous steps.
- Authorize your web site with your WordPress.com account by clicking the Approve button.
- For now, click on the Select Free button to move along with this tutorial.
The JetPack Settings menu should now be available for you within the WordPress Dashboard of your self-hosted web site, to allow you to customize your JetPack experience.
Your JetPack account is free, but you can always upgrade at any time for more advanced security and backup options.