I don’t need to tell you the importance of using strong passwords when creating user accounts online. Passwords are keys to accessing your online accounts or your computer. Using strong passwords are vital in protecting your identity and stopping others from hijacking your account. In this Post I have shared a trick to create strong but memorable passwords that I learned a few days ago.
What is password strength?
According to WikiPedia:
How to create a Strong Password?
We all know the common guidelines for choosing a strong password:
- Include numbers, symbols, upper and lowercase letters
- Password should be more than 8 characters long.
- Avoid any password based on repetition, dictionary words, letter or number sequences, usernames, relative or pet names, or biographical information (birth day).
Now the problem with creating random strong passwords are that they are very hard to remember. So once you start having to memorize a number of them it gets virtually impossible to keep them all memorized. There are a few tricks that you can follow to create strong memorable passwords. I learned one strong and memorable password creation trick last week that I am going to share in this post.
The Password Phrase method
The phrase method is an easy way to remember complicated passwords that are hard to crack.
- Use the Phrase Method:
- Choose a phrase that has numbers.
- Use only the first letter in each word.
- Use the proper case for each letter, just as it appears in the phrase.
- Use actual numbers whenever possible. Use “2” for “two” or “to” and “4” for “four” or “for.”
- Include punctuation.
Lets take the following phrase as an example:
Using the Password Phrase method explained above, the password becomes:
Don’t remember the password, just remember the phrase.
You can see that this Password abides by the Strong Password Creation rule and it is also easy to remember!
You can even use a phrase as the password if the system allows you to enter a phrase. For example the following phrase will make a strong password.
I prefer to go to bed by 10:00!
Password strength Meter
The following tool is not perfect but will give you some indications as to how strong a password is. Just type in a random password to try it out.
Some General Password/Security tips
- Avoid using dictionary words in any language
- Avoid sequences or repeated characters
- Change your password on a schedule.
- Do not allow Internet Explorer to store passwords.
- Do not type passwords on computers that you do not control.
- Never provide your password over e-mail.
- Never respond to an email asking for personal information (Banks will never ask you for your personal information in an email).
- Patch and update the softwares you use on a regular basis.
- Use caution when opening email attachments.
- Limit the amount of personal information you post about yourself.
Comments (7 responses)
I wish u had a password maker so we didn’t have to try and figure everything out!!!
Very nice tips on creating hard to guess but easy to remember passwords. Thanks for sharing.
WOW! Thats really cool method to remeber hard password. I usually use similar password to my all sites, i know thats not safe, i should use your method.
I like the idea of including the website name somewhere in the password, so that you can safely use (almost) the same password for every site. You could replace letters in the website name with special characters (like [email protected]), or just use an abbreviation of it to decrease hackability.
I would like to thank you for helping me.