We are all aware of what Bitcoin is by now. And even though there is chatter about this cryptocurrency not standing the test of time, people are still trading with it daily, and in large amounts.
Many people are looking for new places online where they can empty their Bitcoin wallets. Might as well be your store, yeah?
Perhaps one of the most exciting aspects of it is that you don’t have to hold on to any Bitcoin if you don’t want to, but you can still offer it as a payment option on your web site. In other words, you can receive Bitcoin and have it auto-convert to your desired currency (or currencies). This allows you to let someone else take the risk of drops in value (but it also gives them the opportunity to reap the rewards of increases in value).
At any rate, if you would like to begin accepting Bitcoin from your WordPress-driven online eStore using the Bitpay gateway, this article will walk you through the process.
How to setup your WP store to accept Bitcoin in under 5 minutes
I will provide an overview of the initial steps that most reading this should have a handle on anyway.
1) First thing of course is to install the eStore plugin on your WordPress installation. You are probably past that at this stage, so let’s move on.
2) Next thing you will need is the WP eStore Addon that allows for the Bitpay Payment Gateway for WordPress. Install it like you would any plugin and it will auto-attach itself to eStore.
3) Create your Bitpay account and setup your wallet. You can find the steps for that in this article and this video.
WP eStore Bitpay configuration steps
The 4th step is configuring the newly added eStore Addon. Follow the quick steps below.
- From the left hand menu in the WordPress Dashboard, click on WP eStore >> eStore bitpay.
- Put a check next to Enable Bitpay.
- Put in your Bitpay merchant key in the API Key spot. To get the key: a) Login to your Bitpay account b) Click My Account c) Under Security Center, click API Access Keys d) Click the +Add New API Key button e) Copy your key to the clipboard
- Choose a Transaction Speed or accept the default, fill in the last two fields based on your preferences, then click the Update button.
Be sure you have selected Use Multiple Payment Gateways from WP eStore >> Settings >> Payment Gateway Settings if you intend to accept more than just Bitpay as a payment option for your eStore items. Remember PayPal will be the default and only payment option otherwise.
Now, you can test by adding an item to the cart and choosing the Bitpay option for payment.
Leave a Reply